L7 Robotics Apprenticeship - Trailblazer group
6 May 2023
Apprenticeships and IfATE
What is an Apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a job with training to industry standards. It is about entry to a recognised occupation and involves a substantial programme of on and off-the-job training. The apprentice's occupational competence is tested by an independent, end point assessment. Apprenticeships are employer-led and generally developed based on the skills shortages that the employers identify in different occupations.
The Institute for Apprenticeships & Technical Education (IfATE) works with the employers in developing Apprenticeships to ensure they deliver the knowledge, skills and behaviours employers need.
Need for L7 Advanced Robotics Engineer Apprenticeship:
The need for a Level 7 Advanced Robotics Engineer can be summarised by the following:
- High level of skills in robotics, mathematics, systems and software
- Cross-functional technical skills
- Understanding of the complex, unstructured and challenging environments for robotics
- Leadership and management skills
- Sustainability, lifecycle management and ethical aspects of multi-robot systems
Robotics is an emerging technology that can advance automation in complex and unstructured environments, which is not possible when using existing automated solutions. The Level 7 Advanced Robotics Engineer apprenticeship aims to provide the advanced skills that a Robotics Engineer would need to invent, design and implement new solutions for areas such as manufacturing, transport and logistics, medical and healthcare. The duration of the apprenticeship is 36 months and results in a Masters Degree in Robotics Engineering.
What is a Trailblazer group?
The Trailblazer group is responsible for developing occupational standards which form a key
component of an apprenticeship.
The Trailblazer group comprises:
- Chair or Co-chairs - leading the Trailblazer activity
- Employers (representing various sized organisations) who intend to employ apprentices in the occupation
- Non-employer members (training providers/universities, professional bodies, regulators)
The Trailblazer group meets on a regular basis and works closely with IfATE in setting the occupational standards, Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours (KSBs), etc., of the apprenticeship.
L7 Advanced Robotics Engineer Trailblazer group
Trailblazer group is working towards getting the L7 Robotics apprenticeship approved during 2023 for a potential launch of the apprenticeship in 2024.
L7 Robotics Trailblazer group meets once every month
- Chair: Dr Duncan Russell (Ocado Technology)
- Co-Chair: Dr Radhika Gudipati (Ocado Technology)
- Ocado Technology
- SMC Pneumatics
- CMR Surgical
- Airbus Operations Ltd
- The Manufacturing Technology Centre
- Rockwell Automation
- Expert Technologies Group
- Veolia Nuclear Solutions
- Extend Robotics
Academic (non-employer) partners
- Queen Mary University of London
- Cranfield University
- Nottingham Trent University
Interested in knowing more about the L7 Robotics Advanced Engineer Apprenticeship?
Get in touch: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated by: Kaspar Althoefer